Show the Good partnered with Athlete Ally to capture their 2023 Athlete Activism Summit through onsite video and photography.
Athlete Ally is on a mission to end homophobia and transphobia in sport. They believe in equal access, opportunity, and experience for every athlete – regardless of sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. Their work involves activating the athletic community to exercise their leadership to champion LGBTQI+ equality. One way in which they do this is through their annual Athlete Activism Summit. This year’s summit took place in Seattle, WA. It brought over 150 college athletes, coaches and administrators from across the country together. Summit participants built community, gained knowledge, and committed to actions to help expand LGBTQI+ inclusion and allyship on their campuses. We were there to capture the magic.
- Our process started with narrative work – our team collaborated with Athlete Ally on a vision for an event recap video.
- Simultaneously, our in-house producer worked to put all the logistics into place. This included developing a schedule for filming, reaching out to interviewees, hiring a local cinematographer and photographer for the event.
- Once on site, our producer managed all logistics related to the event coverage.
- Our team of three captured all four days of action. This included panel sessions, breakout rooms, interactive activities and interviews with various attendees, staff and sponsors.
- To cap off the week, we filmed Summit participants walking in the 2023 Seattle Pride Parade.
- The final assets included three videos and a suite of 500 photographs for the Athlete Ally team.
- Additionally, we created a separate cut of the event video for their sponsor, Adidas.
The Athlete Ally team posted the final videos and photographs across all of their social media platforms.
Engagement with the content was strong and the Athlete Ally team continues to use the suite of photographs to promote their important work.
Learn more about Athlete Ally here.